Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ban The "N" Word (Nigger)? No!

Update on 8-17-2010:
Here is an excellent article about this issue in "The Huffington Post."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff/why-we-should-actually-th_b_684190.html?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=081710&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BlogEntry

===========

See this link for the story of a Hawaii lawmaker who wants to ban the "n" word, at least symbolically, in the form of a resolution.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/13/dr-laura-john-mizuno-n-word-ban_n_682103.html

This is in response to Dr. Laura's rant about the "n" word which has been covered widely in the press. Keith Olbermann has a good take on her apology, of sorts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/14/olbermann-blasts-dr-laura_n_682213.html

I have 2 thoughts on this whole issue:

1. Word usage is important. In a civil society, debate and discussion should govern. Words must be understood in context. If I quote someone's words, then that does not mean I approve of them or use them in the same way or with the same meaning. (I do not defend Dr. Laura one iota. Generally, I disagree with her ideas, statements, and points of view.) If I say "Dr. Laura said "nigger" 11 times in 5 minutes on her radio show," then my use is neutral. It is a statement of fact. If I say, "Dr. Laura is dating a nigger," then my use is prejudicial & racist and shows my ignorance and hate. We should not be afraid of language and words, but we CAN be concerned about their use & meanings, and about the consequences (both bad & good) of their usage.

Banning a word, or substituting symbols or abbreviations (such as sh*t or the n word,) is more disturbing to me than any word usage. Banning words is tantamount to dictatorship, whether violent & armed or religious & intolerant. Freedom is not free. It comes with a price. "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty" or freedom, as has been said many times. Freedom of speech is foundational to our society. Education & socialization are the keys to understanding ourselves and others. Education is the antidote to ignorance and prejudice. Ideally, no one would use "nigger" in a bad way. However, people do. Banning the word is not the answer. Education is, and this leads me to my second thought.

2. The Hawaii lawmaker said that he proposed this resolution to ban the use of the word "nigger" because "he hopes it would send a message that the word is hateful and offensive." I think everyone knows this word is hateful and offensive. I think everyone knows that - even racist whites and others. Hawaii does not need a resolution to let people know this, but it will serve as a good and useful reminder. It continues the discussion, hopefully in a civil and good way.

I deplore the racist use of the word "nigger" and everyone in my life knows this. I call people out on this. Unfortunately, I do this all too frequently. I wish people didn't use this word today and I wish it had never been used to stereotype an entire race of people. We still have some work to do a society - and as individuals.

1 comment:

  1. Update: This is a terrific piece from "The Huffington Post" about this issue.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/keli-goff/why-we-should-actually-th_b_684190.html?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=081710&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BlogEntry

    ReplyDelete